Researchers from seven European countries involved in the CORE Organic Cofund project ProYoungStock have participated in a mid-term project meeting taking place near Gdánsk, Poland, from 1 to 3 October 2019. The project partners presented their first results and on-going trials regarding different aspects related to natural rearing and feeding systems for young stock in cattle, and agreed on future dissemination activities.
Interviews of farms practising calf rearing with mother contact have been conducted in France, Germany, Italy, Sweden and Switzerland, and will be published along with an overview on legislations influencing the implementation of such systems at national level. French results from the survey on the diversity of mother-bonded calf rearing practices can be found via the link below.
A movie reporting about an organic farm practicing mother-bonded calf rearing has been published in German with German, English or French subtitles (depending on the default version of the accessing computer), see link below.
Further outcomes of the project will be reported here and are regularly updated at the Organic Eprints archive.
- Anna Bieber, FiBL Switzerland
- Anet Spengler Neff, FiBL Switzerland
- orgprints.org: Disenhaus et al, 2018: Coping with citizen demands: a field study of suckling processes in dairy herds. (English)
- orgprints.org: Michaud et al, 2018: Déléguer l'allaitement des veaux laitiers aux vaches ? Résultats d'enquêtes auprès des éleveurs. (English & French)
- youtube.com: Muttergebundene Kälberaufzucht auf dem Hofgut Rengoldshausen (various subtitles)